Alexey Parshkov’s (born 1947) paintings are well known in Kuban region and abroad. The article is devoted to his theory of composition that has never been studied before. Compositions by the painter are based on a toroidal structure. The structure, according to Parshkov, is an expression of the geometry of space and interpreted by analogy with field and energetic processes. However, the philosophy of nature in this case has a poetic character, becomes the basis of a universal metaphor. Parshkov’s ideas were developed in intellectual atmosphere of the 1970s which is characterized by an interest in Gestalt theory, structuralism and semiotics. It was important for the author to study Russian icons through interpretations given by Pavel Florensky and Lev Zhegin. Parshkov’s theory of composition becomes the poetics of the universal and the self-poetics, allows us to find the meaning of his artworks. Among the parallels to his theoretical works, there is a “cupcupola-space” of Vladimir Sterligov or “hieratures” of Michail Schwarzman. Alexey Parshkov’s theory is an original author’s conception which reflects the intellectual and spiritual trends of the 70–80s.
- Arnheim R. Art and Visual Perception. Moscow, Progress Publ., 1974. 392 p. (in Russian).
- Barabanov E. (ed.) Mikhail Shvartsman. Katalog (Michail Schwarzman. Catalogue). Saint-Petersburg, Palace Editions Publ., 2005. 485 p. (in Russian).
- Bruk Ia. V. (ed.) Iskusstvo XX veka. Gosudarstvennaia tret’iakovskaia galereia. Postoiannaia ekspozitsiia (Moden Russian Art. State Tretyakov Gallery. Exposure Guide). Moscow, Galart Publ., 2000. 32 p. (in Russian).
- Demidenko Iu. B. (ed.) Geometriia prirody Sterligova. Katalog vystavki (Geometry of the Nature of Sterligov. Catalogue). Saint-Petersburg, NP-Print Typography, 2014. 96 p. (in Russian).
- Favorskii V. A. Literaturno-teoreticheskoe nasledie (The Literary-theoretical Heritage). Moscow, Soviet Artist Publ., 1988. 588 p. (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. A. Reverse Perspective. Trudy po znakovym sistemam (Studies on Semiotics), vol. III. Tartu, 1967, pp. 381–416 (in Russian).
- German M. A. Alexey Parshkov: Freedom to be Yourself. Antikvarnoe obozrenie (Antique Rewiev), 2005, vol. 3, pp. 54–56 (in Russian).
- Kabakov I. I. 60–70-e... Zapiski o neofitsial’noi zhizni Moskvy (The 60–70s. Notes on the Informal Life of Moscow). Moscow, Novoe Literaturnoe Obozrenie Publ., 2008. 368 p. (in Russian).
- Kabakov I. I. The seventies. From the memoirs of Ilya Kabakov. Iskusstvo (Art), 2011, vol. 1, pp. 6–10 (in Russian).
- Koroleva O. Dialogue with Time. Article about the Solo Exhibition by A. Parshkov. Artzal.ru (Krasnodar Regional Showroom of Fine Arts): Publikatsii (Publications). Available at: http://artzal.ru/ru/publication/21021301.html (accessed 29 March 2015) (in Russian).
- Losev A. F. Istoriia antichnoi estetiki. Ranniaia klassika (The History of Antique Esthetics. Early Classics). Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1963. 502 p. (in Russian).
- Lozovaia L. Ia. V. Sterligov Space: From Suprematism to the “Cup-cupola”. Artikul’t . Nauchnyi elektronnyi zhurnal (Art-n-Cult. Science Digital Journal), 2013, vol. 10, pp. 4–18 (in Russian).
- Mesiats S. V. Goethe and His Theory of Color. Instead the Foreword. Iogann Vol’fgang Gete i ego uchenie o tsvete (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and His Theory of Color). Moscow, Krug Publ., 2012. 464 p. (in Russian).
- Molchanova M.; Mikhienko T. (ed.) Vladimir Sterligov. “I posle kvadrata ia postavil chashu...” Katalog. Stat’i. Pis’ma (Vladimir Sterligov. “And after the Square I’d Set the Cup...” Catalogue. Articles. Papers). Moscow, Elizium Publ., 2010. 336 p. (in Russian).
- Philippov A. E. The Theory of Composition of Alexey Parshkov and Its Synesthetic Aspects. Galeevskie chteniia (Galeev Reading). Kazan, Brig Publ., 2015, pp. 331–334 (in Russian).
- Sokolinskaia T. Alexey Parshkov and Kuban Universe. Sobranie (An Assembly), 2015, vol. 1, pp. 74–81 (in Russian).
- Tolstoi A. Parshkov Aleksei Andreevich. Antikvarnoe obozrenie (Antique Rewiev), 2004, vol. 4, pp. 20–21 (in Russian).
- Tret’iakov N. N. Obraz v iskusstve. Osnovy kompozitsii (Image in Art. Basics of Composition). Sviato-Vvedenskaia Optina pustyn’ Publ., 2001. 264 p. (in Russian).
- Uspenskii B. A. Towards the Study of the Language of Ancient Painting. Iazyk zhivopisnogo proizvedeniia. (Uslovnost’ drevnego iskusstva) (A Language of the Piece of Painting. A Conventionalism of Old Art). Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1970, pp. 4–34 (in Russian).
- Uspenskii P. D. Tercium Organum. Kliuch k zagadkam mira (Tertium Organum. The Key to the Mystery of the World). Moscow, Andreev i synov’ia Publ., 1992. 242 p. (in Russian).
- Volkov N. N. Vospriiatie predmeta i risunka (The Perception of the Object and the Picture). Moscow, State Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Russian Soviet Federation Publ., 1950. 506 p. (in Russian).
- Zaitsev A. S. Nauka o tsvete i zhivopis’ (The Science of Color and Painting). Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1986. 158 p. (in Russian).
- Zhegin L. F. Iazyk zhivopisnogo proizvedeniia (Uslovnost’ drevnego iskusstva) (A Language of the Piece of Painting. A Conventionalism of Old Art). Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1970. 124 p. (in Russian).
- Zhukovskii V. (ed.) Parshkov’s Theory. Nebo Kubani (The Sky of Kuban), 2010, vol. 54, pp. 70–73. Available at: http://www.nebokubani.ru/zhurnal-nomer-54/teoriya-parshkova (accessed 21 March 2015) (in Russian).