Mid-18th century was characterized by the activity of highly educated commissioners who built their town palaces and country estates in European style, and filled them with paintings, sculptures, and drawings. Count Kirill G. Razumovsky’s (1728–1803) collection was considered to be one of the best in the late 18th century. Paintings with mythological scenes accounted for a considerable part of the art gallery in his palace on the bank of the Moika River in Saint Petersburg. In 1765–1767 Razumovsky travelled around Europe, including Italy, where he had an opportunity to get acquainted with the monuments of ancient Rome and also to replenish his collection. Razumovsky acquired a work from the famous Roman painter Batoni named “Hercules at the crossroads”. Besides, he ordered his portrait where he would be pictured against the background of renowned ancient sculptures “Laocoon with his sons”, “Apollo of the Belvedere”, “Arianne” and “Antinous”. The greater part of the works with mythological scenes were painted by Italian artists — A. Caracci, P. Liberi, P. Pagani, G. Cignaroli, A. Markenzini, etc. Landscapes showing ancient architecture, painted by G. P. Panini, A. Ioli, Ch.-L. Clerisseau, and Allemand, the collector referred to as pieces of great importance. Obviously, Razumovsky’s subsequent commissions must have been influenced by Italian masterpieces — this can be traced in his palaces built after the projects of J.-B. Vallin de la Mothe, G. Quarenghi, Ch. Cameron and other architects of the period.
- Androsov S. O. Ot Petra I k Ekaterine II. Liudi, statui, kartiny (From Peter I to Catherine II. People, statues, paintings). Saint Petersburg, Dmitrii Bulanin Publ., 2013. 312 p. (in Russian).
- Androsov S. O. Skul’ptory i russkie kollekcionery v Rime vo vtoroj polovine XVIII veka (Russian collectors and sculptors in Rome in the second half of the XVIII century). Saint-Petersburg, Dmitrii Bulanin Publ., 2011. 256 p. (in Russian).
- Androsov S. O.; Bushmina T. B.; Garlova M. P. Zhivopis’ i skul’ptura v Rime vo vtoroi polovine XVIII v. Katalog vystavki (Painting and sculpture in Rome in the second half of the XVIII century. Exhibition catalogue). Saint Petersburg, State Hermitage Publ., 2011. 240 p. (in Russian).
- Cicero M. T. Tri knigi o dolzhnostiakh s soderzhaniem kazhdoi glavy, i s primechaniiami na dostopamiatnyi rechi (Three books on Duties with the content of each chapter, and with the notes to the memorable speech). Saint Petersburg, Academy of Sciences Publ, 1761. 492 p. (in Russian).
- Coltman V. Fabricating the Antique: Neoclassicism in Britain, 1760–1800. Chicago — London, University of Chicago Press Publ., 2006. 256 p.
- Coltman V. Classical Sculpture and the Culture of Collecting in Britain since 1760. Classical Presences. Oxford, Oxford University Press Publ., 2009. 315 p.
- Dmitrieva E. N. Phenomenon of Neoclassicism and Count Lev A. Perovsky’s Dactyliotheca of Antique Engraved Gems. Aktual’nye problemy teorii i istorii iskusstva (Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art), 2013, vol.3. pp. 86–91 (in Russian).
- Georgievsky V. Iagotin. Stolitsa i usad’ba (Capital and Country Estate). Petrograd, 1914, no 3, pp. 1–5 (in Russian).
- Girardi M. The Palais Razumovsky. History and fate of an old Viennese palace, vol. XI. Vienna, Buchhandlung Ludwig Auer, Heinrich Kirsch Publ., 1937. 56 p. (in German).
- Glagolev A. Zapiski russkogo puteshestvennika, s 1823 po 1827 god (Notes of a Russian Traveler, from 1823 to 1827). Saint-Petersburg, Imperial Academy Publ., 1837. 285, VI p. (in Russian).
- Haskell F.; Penny N. Taste and the Antique: The Lure of Classical Sculpture, 1500–1900. New Haven, Yale University Press Publ., 1981. 376 p.
- Kagan Iu. O. Kamei Ural’skikh masterov: katalog vystavki (Cameos from the Ural). Saint Petersburg, Slaviia–Interbuk, State Hermitage Publ., 1994. 189 p. (in Russian).
- Kagan Iu. O.; Neverov O. Ia. Sud’ba petrovskoi relikvii. Soobshcheniia Gosudarstvennogo Ermitazha (Reports of the State Hermitage Museum), 1982, vol. XLVII, pp. 13–16 (in Russian).
- Knabe G. S. Russkaia antichnost’: Soderzhanie, rol’ i sud’ba antichnogo naslediia v kul’ture Rossii (Russian Antiquity: Subject Matter, Role and Destiny of Antique Heritage in Russian Culture). Moscow, Russian State University for the Humanities Publ., 2000. 238 p. (in Russian).
- Kruglyj A. O. Dvor imperatritsy Ekateriny. Ee sotrudniki i priblizhennye. Sto vosem’desiat deviat’ siluetov (The Court Of The Empress Catherine II. Her Collaborators and her entourage. Four hundred twenty-nine silhouettes), vol. 1–2. Saint Petersburg, Je. Goppe Publ, 1899 (in Russian and French).
- Malinovskii K. V. Istoriia kollektsionirovaniia zhivopisi v Sankt-Peterburge v XVIII veke (History of art collecting in St. Petersburg in the XVIII century). Saint Petersburg, Kriga Publ., 2012. 536 p. (in Russian).
- Malinovskii K. V. (ed. and transl.). Zapiski Iakoba Shtelina ob iziashchnykh iskusstvakh v Rossii (Jacob Staehelin. Notes on the Fine Arts in Russia), vol. 1–2. Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1990. 447 p.; 247 p. (in Russian).
- Miagkov P. I. Art Gallery of count K G. Razumovsky in Yagotin of Poltava province. Pamiatniki kul’tury. Novye otkrytiia. Pis’mennost’. Iskusstvo. Arkheologiia. Ezhegodnik 1996 (Monuments of culture: new discoveries. Writing. Art. Archeology. Yearbook 1996). Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1998, pp. 299–309 (in Russian).
- Mishin V. A. (ed.). “Uchenaia prikhot’”: Kollektsiia kniazia Nikolaia Borisovicha Iusupova (A Scholar’s Whim: The Collection of Prince Nicolai Borisovich Yusupov), vol. I. Moscow, Khudozhnik i kniga Publ., 2001. 342 p. (in Russian).
- Naumova V. S. Art gallery of palace of Kirill Razumovsky on the bank of the Moika. “Moshchno, veliko ty bylo, stolet’e!”. Trudy istoricheskogo fakul’teta (“Powerful and great was the century!”. Transactions of the Historical Faculty), 2014, vol. 20, pp. 280–301 (in Russian).
- Naumova V. S. Construction of country estates of K. G. Razumovskiy in Little Russia. Special aspects of architectural commission. Aktual’nye problemy teorii i istorii iskusstva (Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art), 2013, vol. 3, pp. 263–268 (in Russian).
- Naumova V. S. Italian Painting in the Collection of Кirill G. Razumovsky. Aktual’nye problemy teorii i istorii iskusstva (Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art), 2014, vol. 4, pp. 431–440 (in Russian).
- Neverov O. Ia. Antichnye kamei v sobranii Gosudarstvennogo Ermitazha. (Antique Cameos in the Hermitage Collection). Leningrad, Aurora Art Publ., 1971. 95 p. (in Russian).
- Novikova G. L. (ed.). Hanenkivs’ki chytannja. Materialy naukovo-praktychnoi’ konferencii’ (Khanenko`s readings.
- Materials of theoretical and practical conferences), vol. 6. Kiev, Kiev University Publ., 2005. 136 p. (in Russian and Ukraine).
- Pashkova L. V.; Krasnoperova L. P.; Savel’eva E. K. (eds.). Saratovskii khudozhestvennyi muzei imeni A. N. Radishcheva: Al’bom (The Radishchev state art museum in Saratov: Album). Moscow, Sovetskii khudozhnik Publ., 1991. 130 p. (in Russian).
- Pirzio Biroli Stefanelli L. La collezione Paoletti. Stampi in vetro per impronte di intagli e cammei (The collection of Paoletti. The glass stamps for intaglios and cameos impressions), vol 2. Rome, Gangemi Publ., 2013. 512 p. (in Italian).
- Razumovskaia M. Razumovskie pri tsarskom dvore. Glavy iz rossiiskoi istorii. 1740–1815 (Razumovsky’s family at the tsar’s court. Chapters from the russian history. 1740–1815). Saint-Petersburg, Petersburg XXI vek Publ., 2004. 272 p. (in Russian).
- Redford B. Dilettanti: The Antic and the Antique in 18th–Century England. Los Angeles, J. Paul Getty Museum; Getty Research Institute Publ., 2008. 236 p.
- Seidmann G. Nathaniel Marchant, gem-engraver. Annual volume of the Walpole Society, 1987, vol. 53, pp. 1–105.
- Shevchenko V. G. Sharl’-Lui Klerisso i kollektsiia ego risunkov v Ermitazhe (Charles-Louis Klerisso and a collection of his paintings in the Hermitage). Saint Petersburg, 1999. 280 p. (Unpublished dissertation in Russian).
- Tassinari G. The collection of cameos and intaglios impressions by Giovanni Pichler at the Medal cabinet of the Civic Numismatic Collection of Milan: portraits. Review of Studies of the Civic Archaeological Museum and the Civic Numismatic. Milan, 2001, vol. LXVII–LXVIII, pp. 87–136 (in Italian).
- Vasil’chikov A. A. Semeistvo Razumovskikh (Razumovsky Family), vol. I, IV, V. Saint Petersburg, M. M. Stasiulevich Publ., 1880. 486 p.; 603 p.; 398 p. (in Russian).
- Vaulina M. P. On the Authenticity of the Cameo Depicting the Trial of Orestes. Soobshcheniia Gosudarstvennogo Ermitazha (Reports of the State Hermitage Museum), 1960, vol. XVII, pp. 61–63 (in Russian).
- Zhivkova O.; Kornienko N. Zabuta kolekcija. Hudozhnje zibrannja knjaziv Rjepninyh: z kolekcij muzei‘v Kyjeva. (Forgotten collection. Art collection of Prince Repnin: From the collections of museums of Kiev). Kiev, TOV Elit Print Publ., 2004. 12 p. (in Ukrainian).