Baeva, Olga V. — Ph. D, associate professor. Institute of Architecture and Urban Planning of the Moscow State University of Civil Engineering (MGSU), National Research University. Yaroslavskoye Shosse, 26, 129227 Moscow, Russian Federation; assistant professor. Academy of Architecture and Arts of the Southern Federal University. Bolshaya Sadovaya ul., 105/42, 344006 Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation. email@example.com ORCID: 0000-0002-0808-9842
Kazaryan, Armen Yu. — full doctor, director. Institute of Architecture and Urban Planning of the Moscow State University of Civil Engineering (MGSU), National Research University. Yaroslavskoye Shosse, 26, 129227 Moscow, Russian Federation. firstname.lastname@example.org ORCID: 0000-0002-8039-207X
The settlement of Ani is one of the most significant monuments of Eastern Christian medieval architecture, which were developing at the crossroads of cultural traditions for five centuries. Deserted at the end of the 14th–15th centuries, this large city, once the capital of the Armenian kingdom, has preserved archaeological evidence of several cultural layers. This determined the considerable interest of the researchers in the comprehensive study of the settlement of Ani, which was initiated by excavations led by N. Y. Marr, conducted in the late 19th – early decades of the 20th centuries. Residential buildings were also in the field of attention of the expedition participants. Emphasizing certain successes achieved by pre-revolutionary and Soviet historiography, the authors of the article note their natural limitations associated with the lack of new archaeological information and the long absence of the possibility to explore the already known architectural monuments in natural environment. The article proposes the periodization of the historiography of Ani dwellings, identifies and analyzes the results of studying the evolution, typology, and stylistics of the dwelling architecture of Ani, and raises questions about the degree of the elaboration and discussion of architectural issues in different types of residential quarters, streets, and buildings.
The study has been realized by the grant of the Russian Science Foundation, project no. 22-18-00354, in the Moscow State University of Civil Engineering (MGSU), National Research University.
- Akçayöz V. New Discoveries in Ani. Istanbul, DenizBank Publ., 2018. 384 р.
- Arutiunian V. Gorod Ani. Iz istorii gradostroitel’stva srednevekovoi Armenii (The City of Ani. From the History of Urban Planning in Medieval Armenia). Yerevan, Aipetrat Publ, 1964. 88 р. (in Russian).
- Bixio R.; Caloi V.; Castellani V.; Traverso M. Ani 2004: Indagini sugli insediamenti sotterranei. Survey on the Underground Settlements. Oxford, Hadrian Books Ltd Publ., 2009. 82 р.
- Cuneo P. (еd.). Ani (Documenti di Architettura Armena, 12). Milano, Edizioni Ares Publ., 1984. 104 р. (in Italian).
- Donabédian P. Armenia – Georgia – Islam. A Need to Break Taboos in the Study of Medieval Architecture. L’arte armena. Storia critica e nuove prospettive. Studies in Armenian and Eastern Christian Art. Venezia, Edizioni Ca’ Foscari Publ., 2020, рр. 63–112.
- Karamaǧaralı B. 1991 Ani kazilari. XIV. Kazı sonuçları toplantısı, II. Ankara, 1992, рр. 509–538 (in Turkish).
- Karapetyan S. Ani — 1050. Illiustrirovannyi al’bom (Ani — 1050. Illustrated Album). Yerevan, Foundation for the Study of Armenian Architecture Publ., 2011. 264 p. (in Russian).
- Kazaryan A. Yu. Ani Archaeological Institute. Range of Activities and What Achieving Headway is Based On. Voprosy vseobshchei istorii arkhitektury (Questions of the History of World Architecture), 2016, vol. 7, рр. 9–27 (in Russian).
- Kazaryan A. Architectural Object on an Archaeological Site: The Transformation of an Image during the Restoration Process. Maltseva S.; Staniukovich-Denisova E.; Zakharova A. (eds.). Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art: Collection of Articles, 2017, vol. 7, pp. 196–204. DOI: 10.18688/aa177-2-21 (in Russian).
- Kazaryan A. Armenian Architecture through the Pages of Robert G. Ousterhout’s Book “Eastern Medieval Architecture: The Building Traditions of Byzantium and Neighboring Lands”. Zakharova A.; Maltseva S.; Staniukovich-Denisova E. (eds.). Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art: Collection of Articles, 2019, vol. 9, pp. 790–795. DOI: 10.18688/aa199-7-70
- Kazaryan A. The City of Ani: Constructing a Medieval Capital in the Christian Orient. Architecture and Visual Culture in the Late Antique and Medieval Mediterranean. Studies in Honor of Robert G. Ousterhout, 2020, vol. 14, рр. 241–252.
- Kertmendjian D. Ani City Center Complex. International Conference “Ani as Political and Civilizational Centre of Medieval Armenia”. Yerevan, Gitutiun Publ., 2012, рр. 218–228 (in Armenian).
- Khachatryan A. Cave Suburb of Ani. International Conference “Ani as Political and Civilizational Centre of Medieval Armenia”. Yerevan, Gitutiun Publ., 2012, рр. 154–165 (in Armenian).
- Khalpakhchian O. Kh. Grazhdanskoe zodchestvo Armenii (Zhilye i obshchestvennye zdaniia) (Civil Architecture of Armenia (Residential and Public Buildings). Moscow, House of Literature on construction Publ., 1971. 248 p. (in Russian).
- Maranci Ch. Krikor (Grigor). Balakian’s Ruins of Ani. A Surprising Source for Armenian Architecture. Venezia Arti, 2018, vol. 27, no. 27, рр. 67–80.
- Marr N. Ia. Ani. Knizhnaia istoriia goroda i raskopki na meste gorodishcha (Ani. Book History of the City and Excavations at the Site of the Settlement). Moscow; Leningrad, State Socio-Economic Publishing House Publ., 1934. 133 p. (in Russian).
- Matevosyan K. A. Anin ev nra kaghakatsinere (Ani and Its Citizens). Yerevan, Matenadaran House Publ., 2021. 464 p. (in Armenian).
- Platonova N. I. Istoriia arkheologicheskoi mysli v Rossii. Vtoraia polovina XIX — pervaia tret’ XX veka (The History of Archaeological Thought in Russia. The Second Half of the 19th — the First Third of the 20th Century). St. Petersburg, Nestor-History Publ., 2010. 316 p. (in Russian).
- Platonova N. I. Nikolai Iakovlevich Marr (1864–1934). Ottsy-osnovateli RAIMK: ikh zhiznennyi put’ i vklad v nauku (The Founding Fathers of RAIMK: Their Life Path And Contribution To Science). St. Petersburg, Institute of the History of Material Culture of the Russian Academy of Sciences Publ., 2022, pp. 68–99 (in Russian).
- Toramanian T. Niuter haikakan tchartarapetutian patmutian (Materials on the History of Armenian Architecture), vol. 1. Yerevan, ARMFAN Publ., 1942. 403 p.; vol. 2. Yerevan, ARMFAN Publ., 1948. 307 p. (in Armenian).
- Yakobson A. L. Ocherk istorii zodchestva Armenii V–XVIII vv. (An Essay on the History of Armenian Architecture of the 5th–18th Centuries). Moscow; Leningrad, State Publishing House of Architecture and Urban Planning Publ., 1950. 167 p. (in Russian).
- Zeitlian Watenpaugh H. Preserving the Medieval City of Ani: Cultural Heritage between Contest and Reconciliation. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, 2014, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 529–555.