The history of studying secular architecture of the Old Rus’ in premongol period (10th–13th centuries)is considered in the article. It is argued that the problem of the correspondence between the written, pictorial, and archaeological sources was the central one, while the researchers were focused on the question of interpretation and correlation of the terms used in the written sources, such as seni, terem, gridnitsa, vezha, first investigated by Ivan Zabelin in the late 19th century. The analysis of the growing corpus of the archaeological remains of the masonry civil buildings (more than 20 at the moment) was held within the framework of the mentioned discussion, which caused the wide spread disputable hypotheses. On the contrary, the typology of the civil architecture, topographical features of the sites, and their links with the Byzantine and Western European analogs had been studied superficially. The problems of research of the civil architecture in 14th–15th-century Novgorod are considered to be close to the ones mentioned above, and demanding the comprehensive research.
- Antipov I. V.; Bulkin V. A.; Gervais A. V. The 14th-Century Civil Building in the Novgorod Citadel. Seminarium Bulkinianum, vol. 4. St. Petersburg, Kalamos Publ., 2017, pp. 59–71 (in Russian).
- Antipov I.; Yakovlev D. The Faceted Palace in Novgorod the Great. The Main Problems of Restoration. Architectural Conservation and Restoration in Norway and Russia. London, New York, Routledge Publ., 2018, pp. 82–98.
- Aseev Iu. S. Arkhitektura Drevnego Kieva (The Architecture of the Old Kiev). Kiev, Budivel’nik Publ., 1982. 158 p. (in Russian).
- Aseev Iu. S.; Sikorskii M. I.; Iura R. A. A Monument of Civil Architecture of the 11th Century in Pereyaslavl’ Khmel’nitskii. Sovetskaia arkheologiia (Soviet Archaeology), 1967, no. 1, pp. 199–214 (in Russian).
- Freze A. A. Secular Building (“the Bath-House”) in Pereyaslavl and the Residences of the Russian Hierarchs in the 11th–14th Centuries. Zakharova A. V.; Staniukovich-Denisova E. Iu.; Mal’tseva S. V. (eds.). Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art: Collection of Articles, vol. 9. St. Petersburg, Lomonosov Moscow State University; St. Petersburg: NP-Print, 2019, pp. 389–401. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.18688/aa199-3-34 (in Russian).
- Ioannisian O. M. Architecture of the Second Half of the 12th Century. Istoriia russkogo iskusstva (History of Russian Art) in 22 vols, vol. 2, part 2. Moscow, Severnyi palomnik Publ., 2015, pp. 18–139 (in Russian).
- Jolshin D. D. On “the Monumental Architecture” in the 10th-Century Kiev. Dialog kul’tur i narodov srednevekovoi Evropy. K 60-letiiu so dnia rozhdeniia Evgeniia Nikolaevicha Nosova (The Dialogue of the Cultures and Peoples of Medieval Europe. For the 60th Anniversary of Eugene Nosov). St. Petersburg, Dmitry Bulanin Publ., 2010, pp. 151–164 (in Russian).
- Karger M. K. Drevnii Kiev. Ocherki po istorii material’noi kul’tury drevnerusskogo goroda (Old Kiev. Essays on the History of the Material Culture of the Old Russian City), vol. 2. Moscow; Leningrad, The USSR Academy of Sciences Publ., 1961. 662 p. (in Russian).
- Kharlamov V. A. The Research of the Stone Monumental Architecture of Kiev, 10th–13th Centuries. Arkheologicheskie issledovaniia Kieva 1978–1983 gg. (Archaeological Research of Kiev, 1978–1983). Kiev, Naukova dumka Publ., 1985, pp. 106–120 (in Russian).
- Kholostenko N. V. Princes’ Stone Palaces in Chernigov. Arkhitekturnoe nasledstvo (Architectural Heritage), 1963, no. 15, pp. 3–17 (in Russian).
- Lipets S. R. Epos i Drevniaia Rus’ (Epos and Old Rus’). Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1969. 300 p. (in Russian).
- Popov I. O. Princes’ Estates in Premongol Rus’: Chronicle Notes and Archaeological Materiality. Stratum Plus, 2000, no. 5, pp. 391–406 (in Russian).
- Potapov A. A. Ocherk drevnei russkoi grazhdanskoi arkhitektury (Review of the Old Russian Civil Architecture), vol. 1. Moscow, Tovarishchestvo tipografii A. I. Mamontova Publ., 1902. 121 p. (in Russian).
- Preobrazhenskii A. S. The Origin of the Term “Polati” and the Question of the Function of the Galleries of the Early Russian Churches. Khram i liudi, Zbirka statei do 90-richchia z dnia narodzhennia Sergiia Oleksandrovicha Visots’kogo (The Church and People, Collection of Articles for the 90th Anniversary of Sergey Vysotsky). Kiev, Agrar Medіa Grup Publ., 2013, pp. 143–159 (in Russian).
- Rappoport P. A. Drevnerusskoe zhilishche. Svod arkheologicheskikh istochnikov (Ancient Russian House. Corpus of Archaeological Evidence). Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1975. 179 p. (in Russian).
- Rappoport P. A. Russkaia arkhitektura X–XIII vv.: Katalog pamiatnikov (Svod arkheologicheskikh istochnikov) (Russian Architecture of the 10th–13th Centuries: Catalogue of the Monuments (Corpus of Archaeological Evidence)). Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1982. 136 p. (in Russian).
- Rzhiga V. F. Ocherki iz istorii byta domongol’skoi Rusi. Trudy Gosudarstvennogo istoricheskogo muzeia. Vyp. 5 (Essays on the Homelife in Premongol Rus’. Proceedings of the State Historical Museum, no. 5). Moscow, State Historical Museum Publ., 1929. 102 p. (in Russian).
- Spegal’skii Iu. P. Zhilishche Severo-Zapadnoi Rusi IX–XIII vv. (Houses of the North-Western Rus’, 9th–13th Centuries). Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1972. 275 p. (in Russian).
- Voronin N. N. Dwelling. Istoriia kul’tury Drevnei Rusi (History of Culture of the Old Rus’), vol. 1. Moscow; Leningrad, The USSR Academy of Sciences Publ., 1948, pp. 205–233 (in Russian).
- Zabelin I. E. Domashnii byt russkikh tsarei v XVI i XVII st. (Homelife of the Russian Tzars in the 16th–17th Centuries). Moscow, Tovarishchestvo tipografii A. I. Mamontova Publ., 1895. 751 p. (in Russian).